World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2022: June 15 | History, theme, Significance, and Quotes
Jun 06 2022
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2022: On 15th June of this current, World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2022 is observed all over the globe as an awareness program. On June 15th, every year the world commemorates World Elder Abuse Awareness Day. This day is marked in order to raise awareness about the plight of the elderly who are abused and harmed. The primary goal of this day is to provide communities all around the world a chance to develop a better understanding of elder abuse and neglect by raising awareness of the cultural, social, economic, and demographic factors that influence senior abuse and neglect. World Elder Abuse Awareness Day is dedicated to highlighting the issue of elder abuse. The International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse and the World Health Organization founded World Elder Abuse Awareness Day, or WEAAD, on June 15, 2006. The United Nations General Assembly established that date as World Elder Mistreatment Awareness Day in its 66/127 resolution, a day on which the entire world expresses its opposition to any type of abuse of the elderly.
Elder abuse is one of the most under-investigated forms of violence, and it is rarely addressed in national action plans. Elder abuse is widely acknowledged as a growing and significant problem in our culture. Unfortunately, determining the scale of this problem is difficult owing to underreporting, differences in the definition of elder abuse, and the lack of a countrywide consistent reporting system. The National Center on Elder Abuse differentiates seven categories of elder abuse, according to the National Center on Elder Abuse. Physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, financial/material exploitation, neglect, abandonment, and self-neglect are all examples of these types of abuse.
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2022: History
- In 1978, SAGE was formed and the Advocacy and Services for LGBT elders were created.
- In 1983, The first book on elder abuse, “Abuse and Maltreatment of the Elderly: Causes and Interventions”, was published.
- In1988, The National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA) was established by the U.S. Administration on Aging.
- In 2003, A group of UCI professors created the nation’s first-ever Elder Abuse Forensic Center
- The day was officially recognized by the United Nations General Assembly in December 2011 bypassing the resolution 66/127 of the United Nations following a request by the International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse (INPEA), which first established the commemoration in June 2006.
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2022: Theme
The theme for World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2022 is Digital Equity for All Ages. Adult children and other family members are the leading abusers of the elderly, according to current studies, demonstrating that violence against the elderly happens mostly at home. Family stress, both psychological and financial, has been considered a contributing cause of elder abuse. If young children are exposed to this type of aggression in their family, it might have a negative influence on them. Children who are exposed to violence, whether as the intended target or as witnesses to violence, are more likely to develop behavioral issues and subsequently become perpetrators of aggressiveness and violence themselves, according to research.
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2022: Significance
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day is a day dedicated to educating people about the injustices that the elderly face across the world whether verbal, physical, or emotional. Elders are esteemed in many societies, and rightly so. Their life experiences, memories, and perspectives are treasured for the lessons they can teach younger people. And if elderly people aren't encouraged to pass on the knowledge and skills they've gained during their lives, the culture as a whole will suffer. Research suggests that 4 to 6 percent of the elderly suffer from some kind of abuse, most of which go unreported. This day is to make sure we remain focused on our elders, ensuring they lead a life of high quality and dignity.
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2022: Quotes
- Anything you do comes back to haunt you. You are bullying your parents now, and you will be insulted by your youngers tomorrow when you become an elder. So, treat your parents well and you will be rewarded.
- An older person, whether educated or uneducated, has a life experience that his younger counterparts would not have. On World Elder Abuse Awareness Day, let us all respect our elders’ wisdom and experience.
- Respect and love your elders as they have shown you the same respect and love. Spend quality time with your elders.
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2022: FAQs
Q: Why is World Elder Abuse Awareness Day celebrated?
A: The principal goal of World Elder Abuse Awareness Day is to provide our communities around the world with an opportunity to get a better knowledge of the abuse and neglect of older people. This is a global social issue that not only affects the health of older people but also diminishes their rights.
Q: When was World Elder Abuse Awareness Day started?
A: It was officially recognized by the United Nations General Assembly in its resolution 66/127, December 2011, following a request by the International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse (INPEA), which first established the commemoration in June 2006.
Also, access free PDFs
|Current Affairs - Daily, Weekly, Monthly||English Language Free PDFs|
|Quantitative Aptitude Free PDFs||Free Bundle PDF|
SSC CHSL Exam Centres 2022-2023: Check State Wise Exam Centre List
Dec 09 2022
UNICEF Foundation Day 2022 Theme and History: 11th December
Dec 09 2022
SSC CHSL Full Form: In English And Hindi, SSC CHSL Posts 2022-2023 List
Dec 09 2022