Purple Day for Epilepsy 2023 History, Theme, Significance: March 26
Mar 25 2023
Purple Day for Epilepsy 2023: On March 26th of this current year Purple Day of Epilepsy 2023 is observed all over the world. It is a global event that is observed all over the world on March 26th every year to create awareness about Epilepsy. It was created to increase the public’s understanding of this brain disorder and to eliminate the fear and stigma surrounding it. Purple Day is a global grassroots event that was formed with the intention to increase worldwide awareness of epilepsy and to dispel common myths and fears of this neurological disorder. The goal of Purple Day is to increase general public awareness, to reduce the social stigma endured by many individuals with the condition, and to empower individuals living with epilepsy to take action in their communities.
Epilepsy is a central nervous system (neurological) disorder in which brain activity becomes abnormal, causing seizures or periods of unusual behavior, sensations, and sometimes loss of awareness. Anyone can develop epilepsy. Epilepsy affects both males and females of all races, ethnic backgrounds, and ages. There is no singular test used to diagnose epilepsy. Among the ways to diagnose epilepsy are: electroencephalogram (EEG), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), CT scan, blood-glucose testing, along with electrolyte- and calcium testing. Frequently, epilepsy presents itself after a brain injury or trauma, stroke, or a brain infection. However, in over 50% of epilepsy cases, the cause is unknown.
Purple Day for Epilepsy 2023: History
- In 1067-1046 B.C the earliest known medical texts detailing the signs, symptoms, and types of seizures of what we now know as epilepsy are written.
- In 460 - 377 B.C.Hippocrates is the first person to suggest epilepsy as a medically treatable disease of the brain
- In the Mid 1800s, Bromide is first released as an effective medication for controlling seizures.
- In 2017, The Anita Kaufmann Foundation sets a Guinness World Record on Purple Day by facilitating the largest ever training session on epilepsy.
Purple Day for Epilepsy 2023 Theme
In 2008, eight-year-old Cassidy Megan from Canada decided she wanted to help raise awareness for people with epilepsy and to make sure no one affected feels alone. She named her idea after the color of lavender, the internationally recognized flower for epilepsy, and Purple Day was born. Even though the number of Americans living with epilepsy is greater than those living with an autism spectrum disorder, multiple sclerosis, and cerebral palsy combined, the funding for epilepsy is a small fraction of the funding that goes into research for the other conditions. Epilepsy Awareness Day gives this condition the much-needed attention it warrants.
Purple Day for Epilepsy 2023: Significance
The day is marked to raise awareness among the people of the world about the brain disorder that is epilepsy. It is an opportunity to increase the public's understanding of the disease and to eliminate the fear and stigma around it. Education has the ability to eliminate fear and prejudice. People living with epilepsy, particularly those in less developed countries, likely experience stigma, and discrimination, which can be more burdensome to navigate than the disease itself. Epilepsy Awareness Day contributes greatly to the enlightenment of people around the world.
Purple Day for Epilepsy 2023: Quotes
- Wishing a very Happy Purple Day to you. This day reminds us that we must never surrender ourselves to epilepsy but fight with it with all our courage and strength.
- Never ever allow epilepsy to defeat you because you are much stronger, much more powerful than this disease and you deserve to win.
- This world would become a much happier and more beautiful place to live if we will learn the right things about epilepsy instead of surrounding ourselves with misconceptions.
Purple Day for Epilepsy 2023: FAQs
Q. What does purple mean for epilepsy?
Lavender is the international color for epilepsy and is also a color that symbolizes solitude. The goal of Purple Day is to increase general public awareness, reduce the social stigma endured by many individuals with the condition, and empower individuals living with epilepsy to take action in their communities.
Q. What is the purpose of Purple Day?
The day is marked to raise awareness among the people of the world about the brain disorder that is epilepsy. It is an opportunity to increase the public's understanding of the disease and to eliminate the fear and stigma around it.
IBPS RRB PO Interview Documents 2023: Check Key Documents, Interview Dress Code, Instructions
Sep 26 2023
States And Capitals of India 2023 PDF Download: Check List of 28 States And 8 UTs Names In Alphabetical Order
Sep 26 2023
About Regional Rural Banks In India - History, Ownership, Amalgamation, Regulators, Functions, Headquarters, And List Of RRBs
Sep 26 2023
General Awareness Smart Analysis
- Get Weekly 4 set Test
- Each Set consist of 50 Questions
- Compare your progress with Test 1 & 2 & Test 3 & 4
- Deep Analysis in topic wise questions
- Bundle PDF Course 2023
- Ultimate Bundle PDF Course 2022
- Grand Bundle PDF Course 2021
- English Bundle PDF Course
- Insurance & Financial Market Awareness Bundle PDF Course
- Descriptive Papers for Bank & Insurance Exams
- Interview Bundle PDF Course
- General Awareness Smart Analysis
- All Bank Exams Video Course
- All Mock Test Series (Platinum Package)
- All Premium eBooks
PRIME Bundle PDF Course 2023 (Daily Target PDF)
- Exactly Based on Real Exam Pattern
- Language: English and Hindi
- Included with All New Pattern Questions
- Covered All Major Bank (Pre + Mains Exams)
- Answer key with video solution and Quizzes
- Including Previous Year Memory based Questions
- Prepared by Top Expert Faculties
- Total 1,20,000+ Questions
- 8 Months Validity