Purple Day for Epilepsy 2024 History, Theme, Significance: March 26
Feb 29 2024
Purple Day for Epilepsy 2024: On March 26th of this current year Purple Day of Epilepsy 2024 is observed all over the world. It is a global event that is observed all over the world on March 26th every year to create awareness about Epilepsy. It was created to increase the public’s understanding of this brain disorder and to eliminate the fear and stigma surrounding it. Purple Day is a global grassroots event that was formed with the intention of increasing worldwide awareness of epilepsy and dispelling common myths and fears about this neurological disorder. The goal of Purple Day is to increase general public awareness, reduce the social stigma endured by many individuals with the condition, and empower individuals living with epilepsy to take action in their communities.
Epilepsy is a central nervous system (neurological) disorder in which brain activity becomes abnormal, causing seizures or periods of unusual behavior, sensations, and sometimes loss of awareness. Anyone can develop epilepsy. Epilepsy affects both males and females of all races, ethnic backgrounds, and ages. There is no singular test used to diagnose epilepsy. Among the ways to diagnose epilepsy are: electroencephalogram (EEG), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), CT scan, blood-glucose testing, along electrolyte- and calcium testing. Frequently, epilepsy presents itself after a brain injury or trauma, stroke, or a brain infection. However, in over 50% of epilepsy cases, the cause is unknown.
Purple Day for Epilepsy 2024: History
- In 1067-1046 B.C. the earliest known medical texts detailing the signs, symptoms, and types of seizures of what we now know as epilepsy were written.
- In 460 - 377 B.C.Hippocrates is the first person to suggest epilepsy as a medically treatable disease of the brain
- In the Mid-1800s, Bromide is first released as an effective medication for controlling seizures.
- In 2017, The Anita Kaufmann Foundation set a Guinness World Record on Purple Day by facilitating the largest ever training session on epilepsy.
Purple Day for Epilepsy 2024 Theme
In 2008, eight-year-old Cassidy Megan from Canada decided she wanted to help raise awareness for people with epilepsy and to make sure no one affected feels alone. She named her idea after the color of lavender, the internationally recognized flower for epilepsy, and Purple Day was born. Even though the number of Americans living with epilepsy is greater than those living with an autism spectrum disorder, multiple sclerosis, and cerebral palsy combined, the funding for epilepsy is a small fraction of the funding that goes into research for the other conditions. Epilepsy Awareness Day gives this condition the much-needed attention it warrants.
Purple Day for Epilepsy 2024: Significance
The day is marked to raise awareness among the people of the world about the brain disorder that is epilepsy. It is an opportunity to increase the public's understanding of the disease and to eliminate the fear and stigma around it. Education can eliminate fear and prejudice. People living with epilepsy, particularly those in less developed countries, likely experience stigma, and discrimination, which can be more burdensome to navigate than the disease itself. Epilepsy Awareness Day contributes greatly to the enlightenment of people around the world.
Purple Day for Epilepsy 2024: Quotes
- Wishing a very Happy Purple Day to you. This day reminds us that we must never surrender ourselves to epilepsy but fight with it with all our courage and strength.
- Never ever allow epilepsy to defeat you because you are much stronger, much more powerful than this disease and you deserve to win.
- This world would become a much happier and more beautiful place to live if we learned the right things about epilepsy instead of surrounding ourselves with misconceptions.
Purple Day for Epilepsy 2024: FAQs
Q. What does purple mean for epilepsy?
Lavender is the international color for epilepsy and is also a color that symbolizes solitude. The goal of Purple Day is to increase general public awareness, reduce the social stigma endured by many individuals with the condition, and empower individuals living with epilepsy to take action in their communities.
Q. What is the purpose of Purple Day?
The day is marked to raise awareness among the people of the world about the brain disorder that is epilepsy. It is an opportunity to increase the public's understanding of the disease and to eliminate the fear and stigma around it.
Daily Current Affairs & Quiz 2023-24: Latest Current Affairs, Quiz & News For Today
Mar 02 2024
NIACL Assistant Prelims Shift Timings 2024: Time Duration, Reporting Time And Exam Instructions
Mar 02 2024
Nobel Prize Winners 2023 PDF: Nobel Prize Winners Across Various Fields
Mar 01 2024
General Awareness Smart Analysis
- Get Weekly 4 set Test
- Each Set consist of 50 Questions
- Compare your progress with Test 1 & 2 & Test 3 & 4
- Deep Analysis in topic wise questions
- Bundle PDF Course 2023
- Ultimate Bundle PDF Course 2022
- Grand Bundle PDF Course 2021
- English Bundle PDF Course
- Insurance & Financial Market Awareness Bundle PDF Course
- Descriptive Papers for Bank & Insurance Exams
- Interview Bundle PDF Course
- General Awareness Smart Analysis
- All Bank Exams Video Course
- All Mock Test Series (Platinum Package)
- All Premium eBooks
Premium PDF Course 12 Months
- Bundle PDF Course 2024
- Prime PDF Course 2023
- Ultimate Bundle PDF Course 2022