National Science Day 2023: February 28 | History, Theme, Significance and Quotes
Feb 28 2023
National Science Day 2023: February 28 is announced as national science day 2023. This article gives you a clear view of national science day 2023. Every year, national science is celebrated on February 28 all over India. It is celebrated every year to mark the discovery of the “Raman effect”. The Raman effect was discovered by the Indian scientist Sir C.V. Raman. On this day, Sir C.V. Raman got the Nobel prize for his discovery. He was awarded the Nobel prize for Raman Effect in physics in 1930. This day is celebrated as the Raman effect was discovered on February 28, 1928. On this occasion, theme-based science communication activities are carried out all over the country. Many institutions organize open houses for their laboratories and appraise students about career opportunities available in a particular research laboratory/institution.
The Department of Science and Technology (DST) acts as a nodal agency to support, catalyze and coordinate the celebration of National Science Day throughout the country in scientific institutions, research laboratories, and autonomous scientific institutions associated with the Department of Science and Technology. National Council for Science & Technology Communication (NCSTC), DST has supported various programs countrywide by giving grants to its State S&T Councils & Departments for the organization of lectures, quizzes, open houses, etc. The DST instituted the National Awards for Science Popularisation in 1987 to stimulate, encourage and recognize outstanding efforts in the area of science and technology communication and popularisation as well as inculcate scientific temper among the masses. These awards are presented every year on National Science Day along with the SERB Women Excellence Award by the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), a statutory body of the Department of Science and Technology (DST) supporting basic research in frontier areas of science and engineering. It provides grants to women scientists below 40 years of age who have received recognition from any one or more of the National Academies such as the Young Scientist Medal, Young Associateship, and so on. AWSAR award, an initiative of the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India to recognize the dissemination of Indian research in Science, Technology & Innovation being pursued by Ph.D. Scholars and Post-Doctoral Fellows in popular science writing format are also presented on the day.
National Science Day History
People believing in technical miracles celebrate national Science every year in the same manner as they celebrate their cultural and religious observances. Everything in the environment is based on science. Science pushes us to our limits. National Science day is for those who believe in science, technology, scientists, next-generation scientists, and technologist who makes the future more interesting. Sukumar Chandra Sirkar (1898-1983) is one who invented science day. In 1928, when Raman made the discovery in his laboratory at the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS) in Kolkata, 32 research scholars were working under his guidance and Sukumar was one among them. The National Council for Science and Technology Communication (NCSTC) requested the Central Government to designate 28 February as National Science Day (NSD) in 1986. It was done to honor not just the achievements of Sir C.V. Raman but also of other scientists for their achievements in the scientific field. Upon approval, National Science Day is celebrated all over India in schools, colleges, universities, and other institutions. Following the first NSD on Feb 28 1987, the National Council for Science and Technology Communication announced the creation of the National Science Popularization awards which recognized individuals for their contributions to the realm of science and communication.
National Science Day 2023 Theme
With National Science Day 2023 approaching, the Union Minister for Science and Technology Dr. Jitendra Singh, in the company of government representatives for science and technology, launched the theme of this year’s Science Day.
The National Science Day 2023 Theme is “Global Science for Global Wellbeing”. The four-fold approach would consist of the integration of all the scientific departments which can work on a theme-based approach; extended scientific integration encompassing engineering; medical and other institutions; extra-scientific integration involving the identification of the needs of other ministries like railways and extended science-driven all-inclusive approach integrating startups & industry.
National Science Day 2023 Significance
The celebration of National Science Day consists of public speeches, science movies, science exhibitions, events based on science themes, concepts, and many more activities.
The government of India felicitates scientists who have contributed immensely in the field of science to mark the anniversary of India's greatest discovery the Raman effect. National science day is marked to raise awareness about the importance of science in people’s daily lives and to recognize all the activities, projects, and achievements in the field of science and technology that help humanity.
National Science Day 2023 Quotes
- Science may have found a cure for most evils, but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all the apathy of human beings. - Happy National Science Day 2022.
- Science is the great antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition
- Science, like life, feeds on its decay. New facts burst old rules; then newly divined conceptions bind old and new together into a reconciling law.
- Nature composes a number of her loveliest poems for the magnifier and also the telescope.
- Scientists should always state the opinions upon which their facts are based.
- Science is a beautiful gift to humanity; we should not distort it.
- Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science
- Science is a nice counter-poison to the poison of enthusiasm and superstitious notion.
- No one ought to approach the temple of science with the soul of a money handler.
- Scientists should state the opinions upon which their facts are primarily based.
We hope this article has provided detailed information about National Science day 2022. The history, significance, and theme of national science day are explained here. Each and everyone can find this article useful to know about science day. The aspirants appearing for the competitive exam can check the information about national science day 2022 in this article.
National Science Day 2023 FAQs
Q. What is the National Science Day 2023 Theme?
A. The National Science Day 2023 Theme is, “Global Science for Global Wellbeing”
Q. What is Raman Effect?
A. Raman effect is a change in the wavelength of light that occurs when a light beam is deflected by molecules.
Q. Who discovered scattering?
A. The scattering of light is called the Raman effect. The Raman effect is named after the Indian scientist Sir. C.V. Raman.
Famous Inventions And Inventors List PDF New Discoveries And Inventions
Dec 06 2023
List of Important Joint Military Exercises Of India With Other Countries And Types Of Army
Dec 06 2023
Nobel Prize Winners 2023 PDF: Nobel Prize Winners Across Various Fields
Dec 06 2023
General Awareness Smart Analysis
- Get Weekly 4 set Test
- Each Set consist of 50 Questions
- Compare your progress with Test 1 & 2 & Test 3 & 4
- Deep Analysis in topic wise questions
- Bundle PDF Course 2023
- Ultimate Bundle PDF Course 2022
- Grand Bundle PDF Course 2021
- English Bundle PDF Course
- Insurance & Financial Market Awareness Bundle PDF Course
- Descriptive Papers for Bank & Insurance Exams
- Interview Bundle PDF Course
- General Awareness Smart Analysis
- All Bank Exams Video Course
- All Mock Test Series (Platinum Package)
- All Premium eBooks
Premium PDF Course 12 Months
- Bundle PDF Course 2024
- Prime PDF Course 2023
- Ultimate Bundle PDF Course 2022
PRIME Bundle PDF Course 2023 (Daily Target PDF)
- Exactly Based on Real Exam Pattern
- Language: English and Hindi
- Included with All New Pattern Questions
- Covered All Major Bank (Pre + Mains Exams)
- Answer key with video solution and Quizzes
- Including Previous Year Memory based Questions
- Prepared by Top Expert Faculties
- Total 1,20,000+ Questions
- 12 Months Validity