World Cancer Day 2023: 4th February | History, Significance, Quotes & Theme
Feb 17 2023
World Cancer Day 2023 Theme and History: It is celebrated on 4th February every year. It is celebrated annually on 4th February, and it is a global uniting initiative led by the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC). Cancer is the second leading cause of death globally. Cancer is the uncontrolled growth of a group of cells in the body. It can occur at any age and if not detected at the right time and is not treated, it can increase the risk of death. World Cancer Day aims to prevent millions of deaths each year by raising awareness and education about cancer and pressing governments and individuals across the world to take action against the disease. Recent studies estimate about one out of six people worldwide die from cancer, which’s more than HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria combined. Hence, to raise the awareness of cancer and encourage its prevention, World Cancer Day is observed annually on February 4 as an international event. Created in 2000 to be held every February 4, World Cancer Day is a global initiative led by the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) to face one of our greatest challenges.
The primary goal of World Cancer Day is to significantly reduce the illness and death caused by cancer. Disease ‘cancer' is generally associated with a sense of helplessness, frustration, and fear of death. One of the important reasons for this is a misconception that cancer is incurable. While this may be true for cancers detected in advanced stages (Stage IV), those diagnosed in early stages and a few cancers even in advanced stages have a fairly good chance of cure.
World Cancer Day History
World Cancer Day originated in 2000 at the first World Summit Against Cancer, which was held in Paris. The Day was founded by the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) to support the goals of the World Cancer Declaration, written in 2008. The primary goal of World Cancer Day is to significantly reduce illness and death caused by cancer. Every year on 4 February World Cancer Day is observed globally and is celebrated by WHO to aware people of the disease Cancer and how to cure it. At this meeting, leaders of government agencies and cancer organizations from around the world signed the Charter of Paris Against Cancer, a document containing 10 articles that outlined a cooperative global commitment to improving the quality of life of cancer patients and to the continued investment in and advancement of cancer research, prevention, and treatment. Article X of the charter formally declared February 4 as World Cancer Day “so that each year, the Charter of Paris will be in the hearts and minds of people around the world.”
World Cancer Day 2023 Theme
World Cancer Day 2023 Theme is ‘Close the Care Gap’. The main aim of the initiative is to motivate reform and inspire action, even after World Cancer Day. When we choose to come together, we can achieve what we all wish for: a healthier, brighter world without cancer. This World Cancer Day, we recognize the power of knowledge. We know that every single one of us can make a difference, large or small and that together we can make real progress in reducing the global impact of cancer. This 4 February, we call on you, whoever and wherever you are, to play your part in creating a cancer-free world.
World Cancer Day 2023 Significance
This is to ensure that everyone is working together to reimagine a world where millions of preventable cancer deaths are saved and access to life-saving cancer treatment and care is equitable for all, according to worldcancerday.org. This should be true for all, irrespective of who they are or where they live. Hundreds of activities and events take place around the world each year, gathering communities, organizations, and individuals in schools, businesses, hospitals, marketplaces, parks, community halls, and places of worship.
The activities take place in the streets and online and act as a powerful reminder that we all have a role to play in reducing the global impact of cancer. Many people who seek cancer care hit barriers at every turn although the world lives in a time of awe-inspiring advancements in cancer prevention, diagnosis, and treatment. Some of the factors which can negatively affect care are income, education, geographical location, and discrimination based on ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, and lifestyle.
World Cancer Day 2023 Quotes
- “You can be a victim of cancer or a survivor of cancer. It’s a mindset.” — Dave Pelzer
- “Cancer cannot cripple love, it cannot shatter hope, it cannot conquer the spirit.” — Unknown
- “Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you.” — Unknown
- “I am not this hair, I am not this skin, I am the soul that lives within.” — Rumi
- “Cancer is a word, not a sentence.” — John Diamond
- “Cancer didn’t bring me to my knees, it brought me to my feet.” — Michael Douglas
- “Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.” — Jim Valvano
- “Cancer opens many doors. One of the most important is your heart.” – Greg Anderson
- “Without hair, a queen is still a queen.” ― Prajakta Mhadnak
- “Cancer is a journey, but you walk the road alone. There are many places to stop along the way and get nourishment — you just have to be willing to take it.” — Emily Hollenberg
We hope this article provides you with details you should know about World Cancer Day 2023. The history, World Cancer Day 2023 Theme, and Significance are discussed here. In general, everyone should be aware of World cancer day's importance and the operations performed. Also, aspirants preparing for competitive exams can read this article and get to know the details related to the important days in February 2023.
World Cancer Day 2023 FAQ
Q. What is World Cancer day 2023 Theme?
A: World Cancer Day 2023 theme is celebrated under the following theme ‘Close the Care Gap’.
Q. When was World Cancer Day 2023 celebrated?
A. World Cancer Day 2023 is celebrated on 4th February every year.
Q. What is the quote for World Cancer Day?
A. “You can be a victim of cancer or a survivor of cancer. It’s a mindset.” — Dave Pelzer
World Soil Day 2023 Theme and History: 5th December
Nov 30 2023
International Volunteer Day 2023 Theme and History: 5th December
Nov 30 2023
Indian Navy Day 2023 Theme and History: 4th December
Nov 30 2023
General Awareness Smart Analysis
- Get Weekly 4 set Test
- Each Set consist of 50 Questions
- Compare your progress with Test 1 & 2 & Test 3 & 4
- Deep Analysis in topic wise questions
- Bundle PDF Course 2023
- Ultimate Bundle PDF Course 2022
- Grand Bundle PDF Course 2021
- English Bundle PDF Course
- Insurance & Financial Market Awareness Bundle PDF Course
- Descriptive Papers for Bank & Insurance Exams
- Interview Bundle PDF Course
- General Awareness Smart Analysis
- All Bank Exams Video Course
- All Mock Test Series (Platinum Package)
- All Premium eBooks
PRIME Bundle PDF Course 2023 (Daily Target PDF) - 5 Months
- Exactly Based on Real Exam Pattern
- Language: English and Hindi
- Included with All New Pattern Questions
- Covered All Major Bank (Pre + Mains Exams)
- Answer key with video solution and Quizzes
- Including Previous Year Memory based Questions
- Prepared by Top Expert Faculties
- Total 1,20,000+ Questions
- 5 Months Validity