Saint Valentine’s Day 2023: February 14 | History, Theme, Significance, and Quotes
Feb 16 2023
Saint Valentine’s Day 2023: 14th February 2023 is considered to be Saint valentine's day 2023. All over the world February 14 of every year is celebrated as st. Valentine's day of the year. Feast of Saint Valentine is celebrated annually on 14 th February. It is the celebration of love and affection between two people. The whole week starting from February 7 to February 14 is considered valentine's week. This year Valentine's week starts from February 7 2023 and finally valentines day on 14 th February 2023. The days in valentine's week are rose day, propose day, chocolate day, promise day, hug day, kiss day, and finally valentines’ day Across many parts of the world, valentine's day is celebrated by exchanging gifts, flowers, and greeting cards with the loved ones.
Valentine is a card or a gift given to loved ones on valentine's day. It also refers to a sweetheart, who receives attention on valentines day. Sending a card is a common way to let someone know you want them to be your valentine. Did you know that 3% of pet lovers buy gifts for their pets on valentines day! On February 14th each year, lovers and sweethearts around the world exchange gifts and cards to mark Valentine's Day. For many, it is a harmless day to encourage some romance. However, in some parts of the world, actively celebrating St. Valentine's Day is frowned upon and even banned. A billion greeting cards are exchanged on Valentine's day which exceeds the number of cards on Christmas. Every year valentine's day is celebrated on Feb 14 in the name of Saint valentine.
Check Important Days in February 2023
Saint Valentine’s Day History
However the real story of valentine's day is a mystery, there are three different stories about valentine's day that are cooked up in different parts of the world.
- According to ancient Rome, the Romans celebrated the feast of Lupercalia. This festival is a fertility festival dedicated to the agricultural god Lupercus and to the Goddess of Love, Juno The man sacrificed a goat and a dog, then whipped women with the hides of animals they had slain. Young women were lined up for men to hit them. They believed this would make them fertile. February was seen as the beginning of spring and was considered a time for purification. Houses were ritually cleansed by sweeping them out and then sprinkling salt and wheat throughout the interiors (we still refer to Spring Cleaning to this day). The names of women are written and put in a jar the men would choose randomly. The couples were then coupled for the festival or longer if the match was right.
- According to one legend, Valentine was a priest in Rome during the third century. Emperor Claudius II decreed that marriage was to be outlawed for young men, as he thought that single men made better soldiers than those who were married with families. Valentine felt the decree was unjust and unfair and he defied the Emperor by performing secret marriages for young lovers. When his actions for undercover lovers were discovered, Claudius ordered Valentine to be executed. Variations on this legend say that Valentine was put to death for trying to help fellow Christians escape from harsh Roman prisons where they were often tortured.
- According to Christians, Valentine may have actually sent the first 'valentine' greeting himself in 270 AD the day before he was to be executed for refusing to renounce his Christian beliefs. Allegedly he sent a note of appreciation to his jailer’s blind daughter for bringing him food and delivering messages while he was imprisoned, signed "from your Valentine.”
However, today valentine's day has become a big marketing business. Valentine's day sales reached $17.6 billion last year and are expected to reach $18.6 billion this year. But commercialization has spoiled Valentine's day for many.
Saint Valentine’s day 2023 Theme
Love is the only theme of valentine's day. It is the exchange of love between two loved ones. Valentine's day is the day of romance. People believe that it is the day in which two people are coupled up together. It was commonly believed in parts of England and France that February 14 marked the beginning of the birds' mating season, which increased the notion that Valentine's Day should be a day for romance. The valentine symbol includes heart-shaped, outlines, doves and the figure of winged cupids are used. The winged cupid symbol signifies the mating season of birds which is the notation of love and romance.
Saint Valentine’s day 2023: Significance
Saint Valentine's day 2023 is a festival to celebrate romantic love, friendship, and admiration. Every year people send messages, cards, and gifts not only to their valentine but also to friends, family, and others they love. Even the gifts are given to the pets on valentine's day. It has been celebrated for only two purposes i.e. to bring the people together and to encourage consumer spending. Purchases of gifts are a token of love for the loved ones which encourages several consumer markets. Valentine’s day is the festival of celebration of love in a pure form.
Saint Valentine’s day 2023: Quotes
- Love is what happens when two hearts find a happy place right beside each other.
- Your flaws are perfect for the one who loves you.
- A successful marriage requires falling in love with the same person many times.
- Love connects the hearts of two people.
- Love is the biggest miracle that happens on the earth. Happy Valentine's Day to the people out there in the world.
- There is only one happiness in the world: to love and to be loved
- Love is our true destiny. We don't find the meaning of life by ourselves alone but we find it with others.
- The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved.
We hope this article has provided detailed information about Saint Valentine’s day 2023. The history, significance, and theme of Saint Valentine's day 2023 are explained here. Each and everyone can find this article useful to know about valentine's day. The aspirants appearing for the competitive exam can check the information about Valentine’s day in this article.
Saint Valentine’s day 2023: FAQs
Q. Why is cupid used as the symbol of love?
Cupid, the god of love and affection, shoots magical love arrows and causes the people to fall in love deeply.
Q. When is Saint valentine's day 2023?
Every year February 14 is celebrated as Saint valentine's day.
IBPS RRB Book PDF 2023 Free Download: Free Book PDF Materials For All Sections - PO And Clerk
Jun 07 2023
LIC ADO Application Form Reprint Link 2023: Activated, Check How To Download Application Form
Jun 07 2023
SSC CHSL Exam Date 2023 Tier 2: Out, Check Exam Schedule Here
Jun 07 2023
Don’t Miss Any Update
Enter the valid e-mail id and subscribe to Guidely to get the latest updates on all job notifications, Study Materials, Mock Tests and our new launches.
- 3000+ Mock Tests
- Topic / Sectional / ebooks
- Latest Exam Pattern
- 12 Months
- Access Mobile app and Website
- Premium Ebooks Not Included