Mauritius Day 2022: March 12 | History, Theme, Significance and Quotes
Mar 12 2022
Mauritius Day 2022: Mauritius day 2022 is observed on 12th March 2022. It is an annual event celebrated in Mauritius on March 12th every year. It is a national day in Mauritius and it is a public holiday in Mauritius. It is celebrated as Independence and Republic Day, this holiday is the national day of Mauritius and it marks two key events in the recent history of the country that both took place on March 12th; independence from Britain in 1968 and becoming a republic in 1992. This year marks the 54th republic day of Mauritius. It is celebrated as a tribute to Gandhiji and the Indian freedom struggle, the National Day of Mauritius is celebrated on March 12 every year (the date on which the Dandi Salt March was launched).
Mauritians hold nature with the utmost respect and importance, it is something they hold to their hearts. With the recent events of the Mauritius oil spill and massive cleanup operations, it was extremely apparent how dear this is to the Mauritian Community. In recent news, with Mauritius ranking Africa’s number one most developed country, the importance of nature and the environment was also reiterated with the 3rd factor influencing their ranking being that of Human Progress in Consideration of Carbon Dioxide Emissions.
Mauritius Day 2022: History
- In 1959, British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan had given his famous 'Winds of Change' speech, stating the British government's intention to give independence to many of its overseas colonies. This led to an increasing call within Mauritius for self-rule.
- The elections of 1966 resulted in a victory for an alliance of the Mauritius Labour Party and other self-rule parties.
- On March 12th, 1968, Mauritius adopted its new constitution and gained independence as a constitutional monarchy. Queen Elizabeth II remained head of state and Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam became the first Prime Minister of Mauritius.
- Exactly twenty-four years later, on March 12th, 1992, Mauritius was proclaimed as a republic within the British Commonwealth.
Mauritius Day 2022: Theme
The theme for the day is specifically to commemorate the triumph of this nation after a tedious struggle over centuries and decades both internal and external conflicts to be one beautiful. This day is marked by pride and is celebrated by having the nation’s colorful flag all over. A general military parade with the national anthem is being observed with the flag hoisting ceremony.
Mauritius Day 2022: Significance
National Day in Mauritius celebrates the date when the country gained independence from Britain on March 12, 1968. The country became a British colony in 1810. In addition, the holiday celebrates the creation of the Republic of Mauritius in 1992. it is of utmost importance for each one of us to salute the sacrifice of our forefathers who believed in making Mauritius a paradise island for our generations and who struggled for freedom. Independence Day is not just a one-day celebration but it is the celebration of freedom, cultures, and colors daily.
Mauritius Day 2022: Quotes
- Mauritius should be proud like the ocean is when it is roaring. Happy Mauritius National Day 2022
- East or West, the beaches of Mauritius are the best.
Mauritius Day 2022: FAQs
Q. Why is Mauritius day celebrated?
It is celebrated as a tribute to Gandhiji and the Indian freedom struggle, the National Day of Mauritius is celebrated on March 12 every year (the date on which the Dandi Salt March was launched).
Q. How long is Independence Day in Mauritius?
Mauritius got its independence on 12th March 1968 and became a Republic in 1992
GA Questions Asked in SIDBI Grade A 2023: 28th January
Jan 28 2023
SBI PO Mains Exam Date 2023: Check Probationary Officer Exam Schedule
Jan 28 2023
IBPS SO Mains Shift Timings 2023: Reporting Time, Exam Start And End Time With Instructions
Jan 28 2023