Gandhi Jayanti 2023: October 2 - History, theme, Significance, Quotes
Sep 02 2023
Gandhi Jayanti 2023: Gandhi Jayanti is celebrated in India to commemorate the birth anniversary of the freedom fighter Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, also known as Mahatma Gandhi. This day is celebrated on 2nd October of every year Because he was born on 2nd October 1869. This day is one of the national holidays in India. Mahatma Gandhi is also called the “Father of The Nation.” As he was a non-violent freedom fighter, The UN General Assembly adopted the resolution and declared 2nd October as International Day of Non-Violence on 15th June 2007. Gandhi played an important role in the freedom of India. He led India’s freedom movement with several national leaders against British rule. During India’s freedom struggle, Gandhi led most of the historic movements like the Dandi March in 1930 and the Quit India movement in 1942. He was involved in some of the movements during the freedom struggle.
Gandhi Jayanthi 2023: History
- Champaran Satyagraha - 1917: The Champaran Satyagraha Movement was the first Movement led by Mahatma Gandhi. This Movement was a farmer's uprising movement in Champaran District of Bihar. During British rule, the farmers were protesting about the planting of indigo with barely any payment. As a result of this nonviolent satyagraha, the government agreed to dismantle the Tinkathia system. As compensation, the farmers received a portion of the money that was taken from them.
- Kheda Satyagraha - 1918: The Kheda Satyagraha was a movement in the Kheda district of Gujarat. This Movement was started by the farmers against the collection of taxes in famine and plague epidemics. This movement was led by Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, Under the guidance of Gandhi. The result of this movement is, that the government agreed for both parties and they suspended the current and next year taxes.
- Khilafat Movement - 1919: The Khilafat Movement or Caliphate movement was a pan-Islamist protest that was started by Shaukat Ali, Maulana Mohammad AliJauhar and others to restore the caliph of the Ottoman Caliphate. In 1920, the Khilafat leaders and Gandhi, who was a leader of the Indian National Congress, decided to fight together for the cause of Khilafat and Swaraj.
- Non-Cooperation Movement - 1920: This movement was launched by Mahatma Gandhi because of the Jallianwala Bagh Massacre. Gandhi didn't want Britishers to control Indians so he started this movement but unfortunately, he ended this movement because 23 police officials were killed during this movement.
- Dandi March Movement - 1930: the Dandi March or Salt March was a nonviolent civil disobedience act. This movement was led by Mahatma Gandhi. This movement is against the steep tax the British levied on salt. Millions of Indians were joined in this movement and then arrested by British authorities. Mahatma Gandhi was also arrested but the Satyagraha continued without him.
- Quit India Movement - 1942: The Quit India Movement was also called the August Kranti Movement which was started by Mahatma Gandhi on 8th August 1942, to end the British rule in India. There is no proper guidance for this movement from Congress after its leader was arrested.
Gandhi Jayanti 2023: Theme
- Every year Gandhi Jayanthi is celebrated on October 2. Gandhi Jayanti 2023 does not have any special theme.
Gandhi Jayanti 2023: Significance
- Gandhi Jayanti is observed in order to honor Mahatma Gandhi. On this day people have to remember Gandhi's contributions towards the freedom movement of India.
- His policies and agenda of non-violence were celebrated by everyone. This day was celebrated by everyone in the nation.
- There are many activities conducted in educational institutions related to Gandhi and his movements in India’s freedom struggle in order to celebrate Gandhi Jayanti.
- The Great leader was shot by Nathuram Vinayak Godse and died on the evening of 30th January 1948.
Gandhi Jayanti 2023: Quotes
Here we give the quotes for Gandhi Jayanti,
- “Forgiveness is the quality of the brave, not of the cowardly. The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.”
- “O object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent”.
- “You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results”.
Gandhi Jayanti 2023: FAQs
Q: When is Gandhi Jayanti celebrated?
A: Gandhi Jayanti is celebrated every year on 2nd October.
Q: When did the Quit India Movement start?
A: The Quit India Movement started in the year of 1942.
Also, access free PDFs
World Soil Day 2023 Theme and History: 5th December
Nov 30 2023
International Volunteer Day 2023 Theme and History: 5th December
Nov 30 2023
Indian Navy Day 2023 Theme and History: 4th December
Nov 30 2023
General Awareness Smart Analysis
- Get Weekly 4 set Test
- Each Set consist of 50 Questions
- Compare your progress with Test 1 & 2 & Test 3 & 4
- Deep Analysis in topic wise questions
- Bundle PDF Course 2023
- Ultimate Bundle PDF Course 2022
- Grand Bundle PDF Course 2021
- English Bundle PDF Course
- Insurance & Financial Market Awareness Bundle PDF Course
- Descriptive Papers for Bank & Insurance Exams
- Interview Bundle PDF Course
- General Awareness Smart Analysis
- All Bank Exams Video Course
- All Mock Test Series (Platinum Package)
- All Premium eBooks
PRIME Bundle PDF Course 2023 (Daily Target PDF) - 5 Months
- Exactly Based on Real Exam Pattern
- Language: English and Hindi
- Included with All New Pattern Questions
- Covered All Major Bank (Pre + Mains Exams)
- Answer key with video solution and Quizzes
- Including Previous Year Memory based Questions
- Prepared by Top Expert Faculties
- Total 1,20,000+ Questions
- 5 Months Validity